Friday, March 20, 2009

The Song Remembers When

It happened as I was driving to work this GORGEOUS Friday morning. I had one of those "moments". The kind of moment that just stops me dead in my tracks and consumes every inch of my mind. Almost like an epiphany, but yet I'm probably still missing a few pieces to my puzzle in my quest to "see the big picture." But it happened, and with each piece I do eventually find, I'm getting closer. Closer to what I've hoped for. Closer to what I've dreamed for. Closer to "choosing to dance." You see, this little Eureka moment happened when a certain song came on the radio. A song that I don't listen to very often, but when I do hear it, it warms my heart and gives me those crazy little goosebumps on the back of neck. *I love that feeling*
Leeann Womack's, I Hope You Dance. This is my song. This is OUR song.
I hope you never lose your sense of wonder,
You get your fill to eat but always keep that hunger,
May you never take one single breath for granted,GOD forbid love ever leave you empty handed.
I hope you still feel small when you stand beside the ocean,
Whenever one door closes, I hope one more opens,
Promise me that you'll give faith a fighting chance,
And when you get the choice to sit it out or dance,
I hope you dance....I hope you dance.
I hope you never fear those mountains in the distance,
Never settle for the path of least resistance
Livin' might mean takin' chances, but they're worth takin',
Lovin' might be a mistake but it's worth makin',
Don't let some hell bent heart leave you bitter,
When you come close to sellin' out reconsider,
Give the heavens above more than just a passing glance,
And when you get the choice to sit it out or dance.
I hope you dance....I hope you dance.I hope you dance....I hope you dance.
(Time is a wheel in constant motion always rolling us along,
Tell me who wants to look back on their years and wonder where those years have gone.)
I hope you still feel small when you stand beside the ocean,
Whenever one door closes I hope one more opens,
Promise me that you'll give faith a fighting chance,
And when you get the choice to sit it out or dance.
Dance....I hope you dance.
I hope you dance....I hope you dance.
I hope you dance....I hope you dance..
(Time is a wheel in constant motion always rolling us along
Tell me who wants to look back on their years and wonder where those years have gone)
I know, probably sounds cliche, but this song has been a special blessing to the relationship shared between my mom and I. If you really listen to the song, and read the lyrics, you will gain a sense of hope, encouragment and support. And at a time in my life where I needed every ounce of hope I could muster up, this song was there. My toughest critique but biggest fan, my mom, was there. And she was always cheering me on to "dance."
Because of this song, because of mom, I've found humility, because I do feel small when I stand by the ocean.
Because of this song, because of mom, I'm working on conquering the fears I have of those mountains and milestones in the distance.
Because of this song, because of mom, I am seizing opportunities I never thought I would by not sitting it out and choosing to dance.
So as I sat there this morning and listened, I tried lifting that ton of my bricks off my lap. For the first time in a long time, I realized that I'm dancing. I'm the underdog coming from behind about to cross the finish line. I've often chosen to take the easy way out, "that path of least resistance." But lately, I've taken risks and I've made mistakes. I've chosen to walk the road less traveled, and today I realize that it is finally all paying off. As I listened to that song this morning, in that moment, I realized I am happy. I realized how incredibly blessed I am. I realized that everything I have worked so hard for, is finally coming full circle. I am finally dancing. In fact, I'm dancing around in circles, flailing my arms and kicking up my legs!
(My mom is going to KILL me for posting this picture, but it's the only one I have on this laptop. She literally had JUST come home from being in the hospital from having her appendix taking out!! hehehe, sorry Mom, I love you.)



On this morning, in this moment, Life is good!
Hope you all have a WONDERFUL Friday and a FABULOUS weekend!!!
(oh, and I HATE how I cannot get my freaking text to type/space right! Frustrating!! Sorry!)

Photobucket

4 comments:

Jade Bordeaux said...

FIRST!!! I am finally first! Yay!!
That was my song to Andrea when I was pregnant. I bought her a book, with beautiful pictures and quotes and thoughts, written based on this song,called "I hope you DAnce". It was sooo sweet. I still want to tear up thinking about it. I promised to get a gold caligraphy pen, hand write the lyrics and then paste then have the lyrics framed for her. Ohh, idea for the weekend :)

Jade Bordeaux said...

Oh, and beautiful post, by the way. (I got caught up in the "first" thing.WHOhoooo)
I love that you are happy where you are. I think,personally, being content is one of the hardest things to work towards, but the most fullfilling in life. To just stop...like what you have, who you have become, and the people around you. Not thinking about expectations, but loving your life, in the moment.
Cute pics too.
God bless ya!

kuhkjhkh said...

aww that's so sweet!

Farnnay said...

i loveeeeeeeeeeeeeeee this song :) :)
and it gives me goosebumps every single time i hear it as well.
very sweet post!