So I when I recieved this email in my inbox from Design Sponge I was smitten. I've never really been a fan of IKEA, but I know that with a litte imagination and elbow grease you can get creative and really find some great buys and create a little Before & After majic.
Case-in-point. Relatively inexpensive and lack of character Aneboda dresser via Ikea.
Put your own personal style stamp on this piece and you've got an oh-so-chic dresser. Who would of thought it?

Now I'm sure these next items can be found at your nearest Goodwill, grandma's back porch, or your nearest garage sale. But look past the dreadfull fabric and think of the possibilities to bring these beauties back to life.
It's amazing what a can of spray paint and fresh updated fabric can do for you. Such a simple change, but such a HUGE impact! You get to create something to fit your style without having to spend a fortune!
Now, this next idea, blows my mind and knocks my socks off. These beautiful pieces from textile designer Eleanor Young are so fresh and funky...love it. She takes neglected pieces, adds a touch of whimsy and HOLY BATMAN look at what is produced. The geometric patterns, the unexpected color combinations....be still my heart.
Hope you all are inspired to create and re-create. Get those creative juices flowing...anyone up for a trip to IKEA?










17 comments:
These are so cute! What great ideas... We're actually going to IKEA this weekend, and now you have my creative juices flowing!
Ok, your going to become a bad influence!
If I have any more "let's do it ourselves" projects for Pat I think I will be a single girl...
My mom took an ugly old dresser and turned it into an adorable black and white damask creation kinda like the first one...I, on the other hand, have NO visual creation skills whatsoever. But I suppose that makes the design world go 'round - people like me need people like you!
i love flipping through the 'free' section of craigslist, looking for similar finds that don't cost a penny! now, if only my house were bigger to house all my 'treasures'. ;) such a cute post! (and i'm in LOVE with those barristers done up in black & damask! how chic!)
I love it, I love Design Sponge! I especially love the dresser!
LOVE looking at all this creative stuff. I want a house, and I want you to come decorate it and be my interior designer! :)
Fabulousss...luv before & after pics...always exciting to view them! ~Happy Spring*
i wish i were crafty, i always imagine what i could do but i think i would lose it in the execution. but that first before and after of the dresser was amazing!
Those are all great ideas! I love that dresser!
Ok, so I am totally going to try my "DIY" skills when I move into my new apartment at the end of May! So we will see if it turns out as good as those things did!
I love how the dresser and chair turned out! So pretty and creative!
Daaang, im up for trip, where we meeting? ;)
i love what they did with the dresser!!
those chairs are gorgeous!! My younger sister wants to be an interior designer when she grows up (she is 13) so i'll show her these pictures to get her imagination going!
I actually like IKEA for basic stuff that you can use just as basic, blend-in pieces that set off the other, more splashy parts. But... that's just me and there's an IKEA walking distance from my house - so that could be part of my acceptance of "Swedish Modern Modular". ;)
great post!! im always interested in these things... haven't been to IKEA though you can always find me doing something around the house like this
I love a furniture re-do! Very nice post.
Post a Comment