Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Let it all hang out.

Everytime I wear a Maxi dress, I think of my mother telling me repeatedly how she used to wear the same thing 30 years ago. I'm ok with that. She was hot.


But then I start to have these flashbacks.


When I was younger, I was tramatized. Admittingly, by my own family.


You see, they used to sing this song to me that they thought was absolutely hilarious because I would cringe with embarrassment and cry from humilty. I know they only did it for a reaction, and they really aren't cruel people. They actually love me a lot, they just love to give me a hard time too. Like the time they all mooned me from the beach house balcony. Ah yes, this is my family, and yes, that too will be saved for another blog post.



But, you might recognize this song....




Do your boobs hang low,


Do they wobble to and fro,


Can you tie them in a knot?


Can you tie them in a bow?


Can you throw em' over your shoulder,


Like a Continental soldier,


Do your boobs hang low?


(this is the only verse I know)




Notice the replacement of the word "ears" with "boob" Now let me tell you. I was not "well endowed" as teenager when they taunted me with this song. Maybe that is why they thought it was so hysterical.




I still don't get it.

But to my point. I was sitting here thinking about how much I love Maxi Dresses, and the thought of just feeling "free" came to mind. That feeling of "lettting it all hang out and hang loose" because no one can see anything anyways right? Yeah, it's fabulous


I love it. I feel free. I feel like a rebel. And I can now actually feel my girls "hanging low". Dragging the ground actually. If you want to be more specific.


Who would have ever thought this song that has haunted me my entire life is now my theme song. Thanks Mom. For the love, for the hard times, for the DD girls that mop my floor. I owe you one.
All Hail the Maxi Dress!
{was this TMI?? naaaahhhh....}

32 comments:

Mrs. Hanson said...

HAHAHAHAHA! Oh my god... do we have the SAME family? I swear they live to embarress me!And the boobs ordeal, oh my! That is a VERY common topic in my family. They even sing that song... are you sure we aren't sisters? ;)

AmberDenae said...

Hahahaha..can I just say that I love you? Is that weird? You are HILARIOUS and I look forward to your posts from day to day. Loved this...it was a great start to my day! Thanks!

I love Maxis! Unfortunately, my girls are only Bs but I've certainly learned to manage ;)

Brittany Ann said...

Hahaha, this is too good! I love the Maxi dress, but oh, how I relate to the free-flowing ta-tas, if you will! I think we should just embrace it!

Adrienne said...

That is hilarious! Well at least you are able to look back on it and laugh now....and even enjoy yourself in a maxi dress!

CTB said...

That is so funny! And I want to thank you (curse you) in advance for getting that song stuck in my head! haha I think Maxi dresses are the female equivalent of guys mesh shorts. They look like they feel about as comfy as I do in my maxi dresses.

katie + bret said...

Hilarious! I have no clue what a Maxi Dress is though :/ But I am thinking I would love one!

Lauren said...

Oh my word, soooo funny! Now you have that song stuck in my head, girl!!! ha :o)

Anonymous said...

That's great~ Thanks!! I'll be singing this all afternoon now! Grr! :)

Unknown said...

This is why I love you. I LOVE the maxi dress :)

♥ H ♥ said...

This. Was. Hilarious! hahaha..omg! We need to hang out! haha

Tara Gibson said...

hahha thats so funny! i love the maxi dress!

Lindsey said...

Haha you are too funny! Great post!

Rachel said...

oooh man i am so with you. i hate that i cant wear "normal" tops without the girls hanging out all over the place.

Nessa said...

You are hilarious!!! haha, that's prob. my theme song too, but for the same reason it was yours when you were younger haha

Anonymous said...

lol too funny! I love it!! I loved that song, ha!

s. pearce feldman said...

that's so scarring! glad you turned out okay anyways. :)

i. me. mine said...

I love maxi dresses for the very same reason. You can let it all hang!

I just bought the cutest one in SD. I'll have to post a photo so you can see...

Mom said...

Somethings will never change-giving you a hard time is one of them because 1-it is fun, and 2-you take things much too seriously!
Yes, I wore Maxi and mini dresses 30 or so years ago and loved them-still do! You will one day sing the same song to your kids or friends' kids, etc and laugh! It's good to see you lighten up-good for you my serious, dramatic daughter! I love you-

Melissa said...

Oh my god you are so hilarious!

That is all.

Melissa said...

No, but in all seriousness, this made me laugh only in part because my mom LOVES to tell me which outfits or part of my outfits are actually things she wore back in the day - so that comment made me laugh!

I used to absolutely hate wearing dresses without stockings, I felt a bit too exposed and free. Then finally in the last year, I've just embraced it. It's too damn hot here to be so proper. :)

Sweet Simplicity said...

haha! I can't wait for it to get warm enough here for me to feel free in my maxi dress!

Naturally Caffeinated Family said...

haha, that is hilarious!!

Gwen said...

I think it's fabulous that you can wear them!!! I'm too "hanging low" for a maxi. But I am so happy that you are able to look back on this torture and smile. XOXO

said...

this post is HILARIOUS!! thanks for the laugh : )

KRISTEN'S PALACE said...

haha! i love maxi dresses and earlier as i was purchasing one off forever21 my mother states, how ugly they are. :) ohh mothers.

kuhkjhkh said...

lol that's hilarious! Left you something on my page but i'm not all the way done posting... gimme a sec! Have a fabulous day!!!

BLC :o said...

Bless your heart! I do love a Maxi Dress!! Xoxo-BLC

spiffykerms said...

I think I'd cringe if someone sang that song to me as well! Though, I don't think anyone ever has. I wish I was well endowed as my Mom is :/ lol.

Don't remember how I found your website (last night), but I enjoy it so I'm linking you!

♥ H ♥ said...

OMG! I just read what your mom wrote ...MY MOM SAYS I'M TOO SERIOUS AND A DRAMA QUEEN! bahahah!

I tagged you in something on my blog ;)

Sarah Elizabeth said...

I love my maxi dresses!

Kelli said...

HAHAHA this is hilarious!! I love maxi dresses!!

Jules said...

Are you sure that you're not really a comedian disguised as an interior designer, because you are one funny lady!

This season I have definitely hopped on the maxi dress bandwagon.