Thursday, July 23, 2009

Sweet Dreams....

This week, I've definitely been feeling a little bit under the weather. It happens. And with being sick comes a lot of down time.

Time to watch lifetime movies and wonder why a husband would want to cheat on his wife with a 17 year old babysitter who is going to be the mother of his new child, but then she turns into a serious stalker and ends up committed and the family lives happily ever after....thats great TV right there ladies, let me tell ya.

Time to play on iTunes and download every song you hear on SYTYCD because "OMG, that is definitely my new favorite song."

Time to read, lots of time to read. Until your eyelids feel heavy from too much cough syrup and the words start bleading together....but you feel kind of loopy and silly so you really just start dreaming of David Hasselhoff David Beckham rubbing your back telling you to get better....thats a story for ya, right?

But in all honestly, I've had a lot of time to reflect. Now I reflect a lot...which you can read about here. But being sick really brings me back down to earth. Especially now that I'm a "grown-up" and I don't have my mom at my side taking care of my every need like I did when I was a little girl. (Granted, she is only a phone call away and Lord knows we talk 100 times a day, but it's just not the same. )

So, I've realized I really am a grown-up. And I don't know what all the hype is about. Becuase I've realized somewhere along the line I've lost sight of that little girl in me. The part of me that dreamed of fairytale endings, casual elegance, a care-free world, and being the proud owner of Willy Wonka ever-lasting-gobstopper of course. So I start wondering about how to get back to that life that I always imagined I would live. Going back in time to think about those little girl dreams of when I FINALLY would become a "grown-up." It's a reality check, a time to reflect.

And while I'm most certain I never dreamed of the struggles I'd face, the hardships I'd endure or all the dreams we’d set aside along the way, finding this time of solitude to sit and reflect has allowed those little girl dreams to resurface. And let me tell ya, it's exhausting. Because I know my dreams of being a "grown-up" looked a lot more like a fairytale than reality, but the reality is that life spirals out of control and I've lost sight of those fairytales.....the things I love about life.

So how do regain my sight of those little girl dreams? How do I create my fairytale ending?

I don't have the answer, probably never will.

But for now, I've found that cozy, quite place to dream, and I'm going to continue to sit in solitude and reflect. I'm going to slow down, I'm going to embrace simplicity, I'm going to find grace, I'm going to live out the things I've always wanted to do, and I'm going to dream.........sweet, sweet dreams of fairytale endings, and everlasting gobstoppers.


Until next week, send good thoughts and lots of icecream my way....and maybe a hug thrown in there too.



♥ Sweet dreams ♥

46 comments:

Rachel said...

fuzzy hugs! i'm sending you all my warm thoughts! xoxo :)

Lauren said...

Thank you soooo much for this girl, I needed this as much as you to write it!!!!!! Love you, friend!!! :)

Sweet Simplicity said...

Good post! I'm sending lots of puppies and rainbow filled thoughts your way!

Girl Meets Beau said...

I was just thinking about this same thing the other day. I have an 8 yr old sister who wants nothing more than to grow up and wear makeup, high heels, and get a job! I always tell her to slow down b/c it will come soon enough. Growing up is not as great as we once though. Especially when you're sick! I hate that I don't my momma to take care of me :( The little things! HA

Melissa said...

Big Hug!!!

Yankee Girl said...

I hope you feel better soon.

As for getting that little girl back, I've found that the easiest way to do it is to slow down. Spend more time doing things you enjoy, rather than doing things you have to do. A few years ago I actually made a list of character traits I had when I was a little girl and since then I have been trying to recapture that essence. I used to never be afraid, I would laugh all the time, I was VERY opinionated, I fought for what was right no matter the consequence. Though I know I will never be the same as I once was, I can tap into the past and make it part of my presence and future.

And don't give up all of the dreams. I once wanted to be a taxi-cab driver so I'm okay with letting that one go, and I know I'll never be a Radio City Rockette, but there is still I chance for me to open a bakery and to live somewhere where I have my own private pond.

I think as long as you are aware of who you once were and who you are now, the two should be able to melt together.

Just Me said...

I couldn't have put it any better! You rock my world and make me think. New beginnings and fresh air...that's what we are made of my friend. Our pasts are just that, the past and we have the right to make our way...the way we want it to be and leave the past behind...adios! Most importantly though, is to not let go of who we are deep inside. Let's not get lost in the ones that surround us this time, let's just be us and own it.

Unknown said...

I hope you feel better soon ♥

AmberDenae said...

I loved this! You're so precious. Dream away, pretty girl! You undoubtedly deserve Fairy tale endings and an everlasting gobstopper!

Hope you feel better soon!!!! ((BIG HUG)) xoxo

Erin said...

Hugs! Feel better!

I still call my mom - she comes over and takes care of me if I'm really, really ill :-) Love it.

♥ H ♥ said...

I love you! And you are SO right!

*MUAH*

Anonymous said...

*HUGS* from your polka dot genie!! :)

Rachel said...

Good thoughts your way!! :)

Brittany Ann said...

Sending good thoughts your way and dreaming a few more fairytale dreams for you and me. We probably all need more of those in our lives, right?

MissBliss said...

Feel better!!!

Lifetime tv is the best sometimes!

I am so loving SYTYCD! I talked to my undergraduates about it today... a business communication class... haha! how did i sell that as class subject matter?? they loved it and got into a debate about whether it is good strategy to add in air in the fall or not, and they were asking me why I watched it... guess they didn't expect their professor to be so human! hahahaha

SYTYCD fits into your exploration of the fairy tales we may have envisioned... dancing more beautifully than you could have dreamed, having that shining moment...

when Mr. Wonderful and I got married, another childhood friend gave us a "happpily ever after" wall hanging sign... it's up over our french doors in the bedroom...

if we don't live our own dreams, who will? why not is my favorite question these days... ;) my happiness in life came when i least expected it and was almost sure it was another ten years away, and maybe i was too complicated, and maybe i would not happen for me, etc. then i just lived life, protected my heart, and amazing happiness took over when i least expected it.

I love your writing! You are a truly beautiful writer and it takes a lovely soul and heart to put these thoughts together and articulate them!!!

Thank you for your shining light. :)

5th Belle Avenue said...

What an awesome post!! Well said in so many ways! I hope you feel better SOON. Enjoy those lifetime movies. They are often SO trashy but can be SO addicting!

Children of the 90s said...

Feel better soon! Those lifetime movies are always the best cure.

Sending good thoughts your way!

Nessa said...

Sending xoxo's your way!! ... and you keep on dreaming of everlasting gobstoppers and i'll keep dreaming of being the next pink power ranger, capeesh?

Carol {Everyday Delights} said...

Hope you feel better soon! I'm feeling a little under the weather today too so I'm thinking good thoughts for the both of us!

Unknown said...

There are days I still feel like a child and days I feel like a grown-up. Right now, with the whole new house thing, I'm definitely feeling like a grown up and it's super scary.

Sending rainbows and sunshine your way.

I Love Brownies said...

Congratulations to YOU for taking this time to 'think'...and contemplate next steps (even if your thoughts get interrupted by David H. -lol...that was funny). The fun of the journey is not knowing but believing that you're moving toward an ever more fabulous fairytale...only this one is true!

Annie said...

i love lifetime movies!
please send me an everlasting gobstopper ;)
great post about reflecting on your life hun. you are a "big girl" now and can continue to have fairytale dreams.

Miss Jody said...

I do alot of reflecting and just.think.
I think so much that I'm not sure where to begin to even write it down or even how to talk to someone about it.

But your post was wonderful. Very well put.
It was really David Hasselhoff wasn't it?
C'mon. You can admit it :)

Naturally Caffeinated Family said...

i love the way you right, so elegant and you always crack me up too=) so well said lady! i hope you're feeling better! BIG HUGS!! and if i could send you ice cream (and eat it with you=)) i would=)!!

Brown Girl said...

I really need to download all those songs as well, so good. Hope you feel better soon!!!

In This Wonderful Life said...

feel better soon! loved this! xoxo

In This Wonderful Life said...

feel better soon! loved this! xoxo

In This Wonderful Life said...

this post was sweet!! feel better soon :)

Trina said...

lots of hugs and well wishes :)

I forget as well when I became an adult. But sometimes, I feel like I'm still 18 (yes, this is the age I tell people because I forget that I'm really 25). I guess what makes me remember that I'm 25 and an adult is buying my own house and getting married and having a grown-up job. can we go back and be 10 years old again? please, pretty please!

TracyZLesh @ Then I Got To Thinking said...

I completely understand your reflection... it is really hard to grow up sometimes. I think back to the simple days of playing out front barefoot with the entire neighborhood and how we thought the whole world stopped and started with us. Its a reminder to embrace life, it is so short!

Anonymous said...

OMG!! That was my wedding song!!!! feels like home!! how funny!

P.S. Not a fan of grown up world!!

Anonymous said...

tagged you!

Unknown said...

AWARD time...one awaits you over at my blog!!!

Farnnay said...

Hope you're feeling better. :)

CTB said...

Now I'm sad I missed that movie on Lifetime! haha

The music on SYTYCD truly is amazing. I just wish I had their bodies and skill to go along with the great music.

Hope you are feeling better!

I Love Brownies said...

YIKES - you haven't updated in days. I hope you're on the road to a full recovery. When you're back in full swing....I gave you a Blog award! Check it out!

Ink Obsession Designs said...

This was a great post! Feel better!!! :)

TexanCouture said...

Hope you are feeling better and I totally agree with your post esp now that I live in a different state than my family, I can relate.

Kelsey @ Seattle Smith's said...

I just found your blog through Carol and love a fellow Dallas girl! Hope you get to feeling better!

BLC :o said...

Hugs and hearts for you! Xoxo-BLC

kanishk said...

Sending good thoughts your way and dreaming a few more fairytale dreams for you and me. We probably all need more of those in our lives.
Domain registration india

A Wedding Story said...

Are you okay?? It's been a long time :(

5th Belle Avenue said...

Come back!!! We miss you!

Anonymous said...

Miss you bloggy bff! I've been bloggy m.i.a also! :(

somebody out there said...

So I was reading through an old blog post and saw your comment and realized that it's been FOREVER since I've checked you out.

Make a bucket list, and actually get the things on your list done. You'd be surprised at how many things on your list are dreams from when you were a kid.

Feel better :)

Leeann @ Join the Gossip said...

Hope you feel better! I totally agree with the grown up thing, it kinda stinks. Now I get why our parents used to say "stay young as long as you can."

Glad I stumbled across your blog =)